I recently presented a seminar on clarifying coaching competencies to a group of early childhood trainers. First I want to acknowledge anyone who works in this stressful, highly demanding and sorely acknowledged profession. You have my utmost respect and admiration.
The purpose of the seminar was to review the 11 core coaching competencies as defined by the International Coach Federation and for participants to learn and practice basic coaching skills including Active Listening and Powerful Questioning.
As a way of practicing these skills I had participants work in pairs and answer the following questions.
- If you could do anything you wanted with no limitations, what would it be?
- What am I willing to say no to?
- What am I committed to for my quality of life, and
- What do I need to complete in order to feel a sense of freedom?
While I used these questions for the purpose of practicing listening and questioning skills, they are great coaching questions to contemplate as you move forward and create more of what you want in your life. To explore them in more detail…
Take some time now to answer question 1. Then answer,
- What would it mean to you if you did this?
- What would it take for you to do this?
- And then, list three steps you could take to do it.
Spending time thinking and writing about what you want will turn the spot light on what you want and illuminate the choices to make to manifest them.
Many blessings to you as you do this important work.