Several years ago as I was reviewing my yoga training literature on chakras I became intrigued with how healing and balancing these 7 energy centers in the body can help with weight loss.
The word chakra is a Sanskrit word meaning a wheel. Chakras are subtle energy centers in the body resembling whirling wheels. With subtle similarities to meridian points in the ancient
Chinese healing art of acupuncture, the chakra energy system has its roots in East Indian healing. Chakras are much bigger acupuncture points that run along the midline of the body and contain the same energy that flows in the acupuncture meridian points. Ancient Hindus formulated that each of these energy points is connected to a different endocrine gland and body organ and has a different color. Also, each chakra spins in a clockwise direction with a different frequency.
Chakras constantly respond to our daily experiences receiving and transmitting energy from other people and the environment, thus influencing us emotionally and physically. When the chakras are clear, healed and balanced they are our resources for engaging with ourselves and life in the most healthy and positive ways. Therefore we strive to achieve a healthy, healed and balanced chakra system.
When a chakra is out of balance, it we are negatively affected as is the corresponding endocrine gland and body organ associated with that specific chakra. This can impact and interfere with our ability to release excess weight and engage in healthy eating.
The 7 main chakras affecting our emotions, well-being and weight loss are:
1. Root Chakra (red) is located at the base of the spine. The root chakra is related to safety and security, a sense of belonging and feeling supported. If we are storing weight around our belly there may be emotional issues related to security and belonging. When our root chakra is healed, balanced and functioning properly we are motivated to eat healthy and take care of our bodies.
2. Sacral Chakra (orange) is located below the navel. This chakra relates to relationships, emotional balance and sexuality. If we are overly emotional or depressed or there has been sexual abuse it may mean our sacral chakra is out of balance. This can manifest in addictions, cravings and overeating. When our sacral chakra is healed and balanced it helps us with overcoming cravings to food, drugs, cigarettes, etc.
3. Solar Plexus (yellow) is located above the navel and below the rib cage. This chakra is relates to our personal power and strength. It also governs our pancreas and blood sugar regulation which is important in weight management. When we are stressed emotionally we will over-produce insulin which is stored as fat. When out of balance it can cause fear or lack of control. When this chakra is healed and balanced it helps us in taking our power back and in motivation to take charge over our health and eating habits. Imbalances in this chakra can also lead to eating disorders, food allergies or addictions, digestion problems and weight problems.
4. Heart Chakra (green) is located in the heart center. It is related to giving and receiving love, forgiveness and compassion towards all things including ourselves. Forgiving self and others is an important step toward healing our emotions, our bodies and our lives. The heart chakra is related to the thymus gland which impacts immune system and our adrenal glands. When out of balance we are not centered in love towards self and can use food in a self nurturing manner.
5. Throat Chakra (blue) is located at the throat. This chakra relates to our communication, connection, speaking our truth, helping us to be heard and understood, and asking for what we need. If unbalanced, this can cause stress in the thyroid gland which is connected to our metabolism which in turn relates to how fast or slow we burn fat.
6. Third Eye chakra (indigo) is located in the center of our forehead just above and between our two physical eyes. This energy center is our chakra of wisdom and intuition. It is important in learning to trust ourselves, and listen to our body’s needs. When we are connected to our higher self we are more tuned in to our needs including health and well being.
7. Crown Chakra (violet) is located at the top or crown of our head. This chakra is related to thought, knowledge, consciousness and it is the source of our spiritual connection. When balanced and healed, this chakra helps us to also feel connected to our higher selves, spirituality and life force energies.
In summary, the traditional system for weight loss in western culture is to reduce calories and increase exercise. However, challenges in weight and food management can be more complex than just eating too much or not exercising enough. Working with chakras allows us to identify, heal and clear energy blocks that also negatively impact and prevent success in weight management. Balancing these 7energy centers including their corresponding, glands and body organs can result in gaining control of weight and food challenges, improved personal empowerment and create a healthy sense of self and desire to take good care. And, as we balance our chakras, we are creating our lives the way we want them to be, instead of living in continuous reaction to forces outside of us.
Contact us today to schedule a class and visit our store to purchase your Chakra Healing recording.
Integrity Coaching & Training Systems
Start Changing YOUR life